10+ Gimp Alternatives and Competitors
Table of Content
Gimp is an open source photo editing software that provides users the basic tools that they need to manipulate their photos. Since it is open source, you can customize its code however you want. On top of that, this app also offers tools for graphic design. However, what sets Gimp apart from other competitors is the fact that it is free.
- It is free to use
- The app does not restrict any customization
- It is not the easiest platform to use
- Customer support team is non-existent
Having free software can certainly help with the company’s monthly expenses. However, we would still highly recommend that you look at other paid software apps before using Gimp. You can start by looking at the list of alternative photo editing software below.
|Adobe Photoshop||4.7||Shantanu Narayen||$18.95||1987||$11.2 B||21000+||Park Avenue||1587+ Reviews||10000000+|
|Pixlr||4.7||Ola Sevandersson||Custom||2005||$3 M||27+||Malaysia||1698+ Reviews||500000000+|
|Affinity Photo||4.6||Ashley Hewson||$49.99||2015||$13 M||50+||Nottingham||1987+ Reviews||2000000+|
|Picmonkey||4.6||Frits Habermann||$7.99||2012||$17 M||56+||Seattle||1874+ Reviews||450000+|
|Canva||4.5||Melanie Perkins||Custom||2012||$50.4 M||1023+||Surry Hills||1698+ Reviews||15000000+|
|Photopea||4.4||Ivan Kutskir||$5||2017||N/A||10+||Europe||1658+ Reviews||1500000+|
|Pixelmator Pro||4.4||Saulius Dailide||$39.99||2007||$5 M||200+||Lithuania||1874+ Reviews||560000000+|
|Capture One Pro||4.4||Dave Gallagher||$15||2007||$38.8 M||10001+||Frederiksberg||1789+ Reviews||500+|
|Corel Draw||4.3||Patrick Nichols||$499||1985||$268.2 M||400+||Ontario||1687+ Reviews||55000000+|
|Photo Director||4.2||Jau Huang||$99.99||1996||$1.9 B||360+||Taipei||1687+ Reviews||30000000+|
“ Powerful Free Alternative to Adobe Suite ”
4/5 (overall) - Ethan S.
- GIMP offers so much value for money when compared to alternatives such as Adobe Photoshop, which costs add up for after you have subscribed for a number of months.
- There is a lot of power and fuctionality, with all the abilities of Photoshop – as it is open source you can also download loads of extensions from the community to make it even better.
- The user interface and overall ease of use is pretty low even moving from Photoshop it is somewhat counter intuitive to use and the general design is a little outdated.
- It certainly feels like a graphic software that has been created by computer developers, rather than designers, so if you don’t know how to do things you sometimes need to think like a developer.
“ Top quality free Adobe Photoshop substitute ”
4.5/5 (overall) - John W.
- Gimp can do almost everything that Photoshop can do for free. It has really evolved over the years with features and improvements in ease of use.
- I’m not much of a power user but it’s amazing what it can do. I often look for features to use just because I can and because the visual effects can be so interesting.
- Being an open source application means that bug fixes and updates come slower than they would from a for-profit company (like Adobe).
- But since it’s free, who really cares? For a small business like ours it’s perfect and it does everything we need to.
“ Great Free alternative for Adobe Photoshop ”
4.5/5 (overall) - Josip L.
- Gimp is an open-source image manipulation program what means it is absolutely free to use.
- Also, you will receive regular updates which add new features and fixes bugs including security issues.
- The user interface of Gimp is not the most beautiful one but its function is very good.
- It has a lot of menus and submenus so for beginners it may be a little harder to achieve some more complex operations such as retouch of a face or double exposure.
- Access Control
- Accounting Integration
- Application Integration
- Assessment Management
- List Management
- Email Distribution
- Sales Force Automation
- Team Collaboration
- Predictive Sales
- Sales Enablement
- Performance Management
- Process Management
Images & Videos
Q & A
What is the meaning of GIMP?
Initially, the word GIMP means GNU Image Manipulation Program, which is originally known as the General Image Manipulation Program. According to developers, Spencer Kimball and Peter Mattis, GIMP was designed to sustain the lack of free image editor software for GNU/Linux and UNIX.
Where can I get GIMP?
For GNU/Linux, GIMP is mostly distributed or pre-installed along with the software’s package management system. However, for Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS, you can get access to the latest version of GIMP through the application’s download page at https://www.gimp.org/downloads/.
Does GIMP provide scanner support?
Yes! GIMP offers scanner support, which is available on Windows and GNU/Linux. For Windows, GIMP uses TWAIN, while GNU/Linux offers you the freedom to have XSane and gnome-scan.
Does GIMP use high-level graphics operations for its process?
Currently, GIMP is still not capable of using high-level graphics operations. GIMP uses MMX and SSE low-level instructions at present.
Is GIMP capable of opening raw files from my camera?
Yes! With GIMP version 2.10, you can now open raw files straight from your camera. GIMP version 2.10 utilizes darktable and RawTherapee plugins to process raw images, and that includes a preference for default raw processing plugin.
Does GIMP support HDR imaging and processing with 16bit per color channel?
Absolutely! GIMP now supports HDR imaging and processing with 16bit per color channel with version 2.10. This GIMP version was released last April 2018, and it is the first GIMP version that braces 16-bit and 32-bit per color channel.
Is there any paid version for GIMP?
GIMP is a fully-free open-source image editor. The application doesn’t offer any enterprise subscription or pricing fee, which means you can use the application without worrying about the monthly or annual subscription. You may download the application straight from the official GIMP website.
- Database Management
- Project Management
- Expense Management
- Marketing Automation
- Customer Service
- Business Intelligence
- Marketing Resource Management
- Content Management
- Sales Management
- Inventory management
- Email Marketing
- Payment Processing
- E-Signature Software
- Contract Management Software
- Cybersecurity Software
- Lead Management
- Business Process Management
- Corporate Performance Management
- Customer Engagement Software
- Enterprise Architecture Software
- Brand Management Software
- Change Management Software
- Lead Generation Software
- Video Sharing
- Workforce Management
- Document Management Software
- Reporting Software
- Billing And Invoicing Software
- Enterprise Asset Management
- Network Security Software
- Data Analytics Software
- Quality Management Software
- Web Conferencing Software
- Web Design Software
- SEO Software
- Data Quality Software
- Risk Management Software
- Facility Management Software
- Help Desk Software
- Social Media Management Software
- Sales Performance Management
- Sales Forecasting Software
- Digital Asset Management Software
- Supply Chain Management
- File Sharing Software
- CPQ Software
- Partner Management Software
- Email Signature Software
- Marketing Attribution Software
- Customer Experience Software
- Budgeting Software
- Audit Software
- HR Software
- EHS Software
- Knowledge Management Software
- Presentation Software
- Website Monitoring Software
- PR Software
- Marketing Analytics Software
- Proposal Software
- Payroll Software
- Identity And Access Management
- Task Management Software
- Web Analytics Software
- Business Plan software
- Artificial Intelligence Software
- Photo Editing
- Video Editing
- Video Hosting Websites
- Document Creation Software
- Data Virtualization Software
- Requirements Management Software
- Vector Graphics Software
- After Effects Software
- Board Management Software
- Business Activity Monitoring Software
- Policy Management Software
- Operational Risk Management Software
- Equipment Maintenance Software
- Project Portfolio Management
- Business Management Software
- Corporate LMS
- Internal Communications Software
- Benefits Administration Software
- Time Tracking Software
- Talent Management Software
- Employee Scheduling Software
- Employee Performance Management
- Employee Engagement Software
- Video Interviewing Software
- Applicant Tracking Software
- Contact Management Software
- Employee Recognition Software
- Employee Feedback Software
- Onboarding Software
- Employee Training Software
- Background Check Software
- Recruiting Software
- 360 Degree Feedback Software
- Attendance Tracking Software
- Employee Monitoring Software
- HR Analytics Software
- Reference Check
- Whistleblowing Software
- Subscription Management Software
- Fraud Detection Software
- Data Loss Prevention
- Influencer Marketing
- Referral Marketing
- Compensation Management Software
- Procurement Software
- Decision Making Software
- Mind Mapping Software
- Complaint Management Software
- Enterprise Feedback Management
- Employee Management Software
- HCM Software
- Absence Management
- Meeting Management Software
- Product Lifecycle Management Software
- Enterprise Search Software
- Data Visualization Software
- Multi-level Marketing
- RFP Software
- Incident Management Software
- Encryption Software
- Database Security Software
- Exit Interview Management Software
- Interview Scheduling
- PEO Software
- Social Media Monitoring Software
- Chatbots Software
- Recruiting Automation Software
- Staffing Software
- Workload Automation
- Financial Management
- Business Continuity Management
- Social Media Analytics
- Endpoint Security Software
- Enterprise Content Management
- Customer Communication Management
- Product Management Software
- HR Case Management
- Network Management
- Master Data Management
- Remote Support Software
- Client Portal Software
- HR Service Delivery Software
- Electronic Data Interchange
- Performance Appraisal Software
- Reference Management
- Screen Sharing Software
- Contract Lifecycle Management
- Quote Management
- Direct Mail Automation Software
- Budgeting and Forecasting Software
- DevOps Software
- Backup Software
- Event Stream Processing Software
- Bid Management Software
- Big Data Processing and Distribution Software
- Restaurant POS System
- Field Service Management Software
- Endpoint Detection & Response Software
- Robotic Process Automation Software
- Fleet Management Software
- Customer Data Platform Software